The Difference Between Natural Hair Wigs and Synthetic WigsSeptember 12, 2017
How To Pick A Perfect WigOctober 15, 2017
Should you go natural or synthetic? This is one of the main considerations when shopping for a wig. What follows is a comparison of pros and cons of both types to help you make an informed decision.
The Main Difference
You can always tell the difference if you pull a strand out of the wig and burn it. Human hair wigs will slowly burn, while synthetic wigs will melt when placed near flame. Moreover, natural wigs give off a distinctive odor.
Pros Of Natural Hair Wigs:
- Very durable;
- Very natural-looking
- Can be colored
- Heat safe wig
Cons Of Natural Hair Wigs:
- May loose curl or react to climate just like your own hair does
- Color might fade with exposure to light
- You should restyle the hair after washing them
- A bit heavier than synthetic wigs
- Hair can break when treated improperly
- They are more expensive than synthetic hair.
When shopping for natural hair wigs, consider the length, the manufacturer, ethnic origin and percentage of human hair.
Pros Of Synthetic Hair Wigs:
- They are often less expensive than natural hair and thanks to new technologies, they look very realistic
- Very easy to maintain at home; just shampoo the wig with cold water
- Don’t change styles when exposed to humidity or cold water
- Kanekalon and other materials used for these wigs feels close to hair fibers
- The color, texture and cut are set and only need custom trimming to be ready to wear
- They come in a huge variety of colors (from the most natural to fantasy colors)
- The color doesn’t fade with time
- Synthetic wigs won’t oxidize even after long exposure to sunlight
- Most of them are lighter in weight, which is especially important for long wigs
Cons Of Synthetic Hair Wigs:
- You should never apply direct heat on them, for example from hot-rollers, hair dryers, flat irons and other beauty equipment
- You can’t recolor these wigs and traditional hair dyes won’t work on them
- If you treat them poorly, they will lose shine and start looking unnatural
- Thick synthetic wigs can look very unnatural on fine-haired woman
As you can see, there are lots of features that speak for and against each of the type. The key is to figure out what you really need and choose accordingly. At Powder Room, we offer a wide selection of both natural and synthetic wigs and our consultant is always there to help you find the perfect wig.